Until recently, it was common for dentists to use amalgam fillings to treat cavities. Amalgam fillings are made from a combination of mercury and metal alloy. They’re very noticeable and a lot of patients have health concerns about fillings that contain mercury.
Thanks to advancements in dentistry, we haven’t used amalgam fillings at our practice since 1997. Instead, our fillings are made from a composite resin that’s customized to perfectly match the shade of your natural teeth. Unlike metal fillings, they blend in beautifully with your smile to help you achieve a flawless appearance.
The Benefits of Composite Fillings
Composite fillings offer unique benefits, some of which include:
- Appearance — it closely matches your natural tooth color
- Versatility — it can repair a tooth that’s cracked, chipped, or worn down from decay
- Durability — it restores the tooth to full strength
- Protection — it bonds directly to your existing tooth structure, eliminating spaces where cavity-causing bacteria can grow
- Minimally Invasive — a greater portion of your natural tooth structure is preserved compared to other types of fillings